Our Diocesan Partner Institutions
The Episcopal Diocese of Western North Carolina has a longstanding history of setting aside the necessary resources to provide educational opportunities for rural mountain children when there were no public schools in our region. Founded in 1900 by Father Thomas Wetmore and his wife Susan Allen Wetmore, Christ School was a mission of the Episcopal Church for both boys and girls, teaching classic academic subjects as well as technical trades and industrial arts and crafts. In 1927, the school became a college preparatory Episcopal boarding and day school for boys.
Founded in 1955, Bishop George Henry worked to establish a faith-based, non-profit retirement community. Two generous donors caught Bishop Henry’s vision and Deerfield Episcopal Retirement Community was established. Guided by Christian ideals, Deerfield offers a continuum of care to all people to promote independence and the highest quality of life and to provide physical and financial security.